We have three action-packed days for you! SND Amsterdam will have a special welcoming program on Wednesday the 7th in the afternoon. Thursday the 8th we will have a one day conference with inspiration speakers and an evening networking program. On Friday the 9th we will sum up the event with hands-on workshops.
Download The complete program:
Wednesday 7th Parool Theater
- 15:30Registration desk open
- 17:05Introduce the speakers
- 17:15Casual get together
- 19:00Dinner on your own or join us for a casual dinner in the Student hotel
Thurday 8th Eye Amsterdam
- 8:30Doors open
- 9:15Welcoming by Paige Connor (agencyQ) interviewing Ronald Ockhuysen (Editor in Chief, Parool) & Stephen Komives (Executive Director SND)
- 9:25Keynote Jacek Utko(Designer)
- 9:55Els Engel / Hans Spoelman(Data Journalist / Design Director het Financieele Dagblad)
- 10:15Alan Smith(Data Visualization Editor, Financial Times)
- 10:40Madeleine Jarling(Layout Chief Bild am Sonntag, Axel Springer)
- 11:20Anna Thurfjell(News Design Consultant, at-d.net)
- 11:45Paul barnes(Type Designer Commercial Type)
- 12:00Jon Wile(VP Content, American City Business Journals)
- 12:10Laurens Vreekamp(Teaching Fellow Google News Lab)
- 14:10Graham Roberts(Director of Immersive Platforms storytelling, the New York Times)
- 14:35Sara Sprinkhuizen / Leon de Korte(Physicist, Project Leader / Information designer De Correspondent
- 14:50Winny de Jong(Data Journalist, NOS)
- 15:00Jerry Vermanen(Data Editor, KRO NCRV)
- 15:10Greg Manifold(Design Director, Wahington Post)
- 15:40Short break
- 16:10Sarah Slobin(Visual Data Journalist, Thomson Reuters)
- 16:20Gerrit de Jager(Comic artist, Doorzon)
- 16:35Sam Joiner(Interactive News Editor The Times & the Sunday Times)
- 16:45Eleanor Lutz(Graphic Designer, University of Washington)
- 17:25Drinks and food at the A'dam Tower
- 9:30Jacek UtkoDigital storytelling
- Websites need to take a lesson from newspapers about presentation, about showing relevance. They must get out of the box named template design. What will be the next step? A plastic screen with WiFi that we all carry around, with a touchscreen? Or will we only use mobile? In this session we will explore the future.
- 13:30 Laurens Vreekampa DIY-workshop
- In this workshop you'll be prototyping a responsive news journey based on your existing content. We'll be using analog sketching and digital mock-upping (and other tools), following creative rapid development methods. Bring your laptop and your content. We'll provide the paper and pencils.
- 9:30Jon WileHow to do big graphics with a small team
- It doesn’t take a gigantic newsroom or a separate graphics department to have state-of-the-art visual storytelling. How the right combination of designers, training, visual language, infrastructure, tools and workflow can create visual synergy and dynamic storytelling.
- 9:30Maarten LambrechtsVizualisation tools for the newsroom
- In this workshop Maarten will demo several charting and mapping tools that have proven their effectiveness in the newsroom. The tools (Maps4News, Chartbuilder, Datawrapper, and Flourish) were selected on speed, ease of use and quality of output. After each demo, participants will get their hands dirty and produce one or more visualisations with each tool themselves.